[ale] /etc/hosts and caching

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Nov 7 08:25:07 EST 2011

Hard coding IPs into applications is generally a bad idea because later you might not remember everything you have to change if your IPs change.

As others have said test things out but if /etc/hosts is actually causing you serious delays I'd suggests your box has other issues going on (e.g. heavily loaded root disk, insufficient CPU or memory) and addressing those underlying issues is going to give you more overall performance in the long run than focusing on host name resolution because those underlying issues likely affect other things as well.