[ale] Linux swap space vs hibernate, power shutdown settings

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Sun Nov 6 21:33:46 EST 2011

On 11/06/2011 08:36 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:

> Given the situation, I'd really like to figure out how to tell Gnome to
> shut down at 75% battery power left, which is what I've done in
> Windows.  That way, it will stand a fighting chance of stabilizing if
> I'm not there to babysit in the event of a power failure.

Hope you didn't think I was lecturing you on UPS choices -- it was more
intended to convey my own frustration by common UPS ratings.  The UPS I
have is probably half the size of my whole desktop... and is one of the
pricier ones out there.

Anyway, as much as I hate how it sometimes feels like gnome took the
windows registry and ran with it, the setting you're looking for can be
changed in gconf-editor at the following key:
/apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds/percentage_low.  (At least, that
works for my laptop battery... I haven't found time to test it on my UPS.)

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com