[ale] AARG! Manual software updates, Sun Java, LibreOffice, help

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sun Nov 6 20:16:45 EST 2011

Jim,

You're right about OpenJDK.  I could have that up and running within a
few minutes using the package manager.  There is one reason I may choose
to / have to go through the pain of implementing the manual Oracle Java
update procedure I was griping about.  I live in both the Linux and
Windows worlds.  I do things on each system that are hard or impossible
to do on the other.  So, I routinely dual boot my systems.  I and some
friends are about to start plodding through one of the major Java
programming books as a learning experience.  The book is specifically
written for Windows and the Oracle JRE / JDK, as most books are.  I need
the examples to all work on both platforms.  I think I'm OK on Linux
with the Oracle JRE / JDK.  I doubt if OpenJDK will work properly for
everything I need to do.  Also, OpenJDK is not available for Windows as
far as I can tell.  So, I haven't found a good clean solution.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.