[ale] AARG! Manual software updates, Sun Java, LibreOffice, help

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Nov 5 18:33:18 EDT 2011

Followup. Warning ... ranting follows.

<rant on>

<jumping up and down on the table>
<screaming things that cannot be printed or said in mixed company>
<throwing any non essential breakable objects against the wall>

These are things I'm seriously tempted to be doing. But, in reality, I
may just go get some unhealthy food that involves lots of sugar or lots
of carbohydrates.

It seems that there are no longer any Sun Java packages in any PPA's
that are current or will be updated. Apparently due to some licensing
garbage or something.

I just finished spending an hour reading through a 14 PAGE printed howto
document telling me how to uninstall old Sun Java from Ubuntu and
reinstall the new version and how to do the same thing EVERY time there
is an update. ( If you're interested, here's the procedure:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java ) While I
appreciate the publisher of the web page making this available, my
general response is YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING! Now I get to spend HALF an
HOUR on EVERY COMPUTER updating Java EVERY TIME there is an UPDATE!!!
Oh, and there are 3 other commands I have to repeat for each user login
on the machine. There's NO STINKING WAY an AVERAGE user can do this
without throwing in the towel, even if they were willing to. I'm not
average, so I can certainly do it, ASSUMING I'm willing to, which is
highly questionable. This is totally insane. This particular procedure
is MUCH MUCH harder than Windows. To update Java in Windows, I go to
Java page, click a link to check my version, click a link to download
the new one, save it, execute it, and answer a question or two. DONE, 5
MINUTES FLAT, for ALL USERS on the machine. If that fails, I MAY have to
spend another 10 minutes finding the stand alone installer and executing
that.

I'm not blaming anyone necessarily reading this, unless you work for the
Java team at Oracle. However, since I didn't necessarily want to break
all the nearby dishes I can get my hands on, I decided to blow off steam
on the message board. I recently had a similar unhappy experience with
an ATI video card. What I will say, to anyone with any influence who's
listening, is that every time an experience like this happens to a
person who's not a super duper geek, it drives them away from the Linux
platform, not toward it.

yada yada so on and so forth

Time for a DQ Blizzard with Reece Cups and supper. Then, I'll see if I
can successfully implement this insane procedure. There goes a good part
of my evening.

<rant off>

Sincerely,

Ron