[ale] /etc/hosts and caching

Chesser.Damon Damon.Chesser at SunTrust.com
Fri Nov 4 07:40:45 EDT 2011

This dovetails into building a DNS caching server I asked earlier this
week.  The issue is we are seeing latency in our application and a
possible (but only possible, not proven) issue might be host lookups.  I
figured that an entry into /etc/hosts would be faster than a WAN DNS
lookup especially since the IP is static.  Someone was concerned with
disk reads and that becoming a bottleneck.  Someone else pointed out
that /etc/hosts file was cached.

This started a google search by me to find out if that was true or not.
Totally inconclusive.  Some have reported issues with not being able to
get the Linux box to re-read the hosts file after a change was committed
short of a reboot or init restart.  Others have said just make the
change and it shows up.  I have not found any documentation saying
whether it was cached or not.  Any smart guys know the answer or can
provide any documentation on that?  It's kind of funny, you think you
KNOW something until someone says "Prove it".

Damon at damtek.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc. Live Solid. Bank Solid. is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]