[ale] Fire in da hole! Infrastructure maintenance warning!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Nov 1 13:29:52 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 18:28 -0400, arxaaron wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up to keep our heads down, Michael!  :-)

> And thanks more for getting our DNS situation consolidated
> and updated!

> Finally, some additional thanks to ALE founding members
> Chris Farris and Robbie Hornercamp for quietly keeping a
> handle on  ALE's domain management since, like, before
> the invention of the vacuum tube.

YES!  I want to reiterate this.  Thank you very much to Chris and Robbie
for everything they have done down through the years from the earliest
days of ALE and continue to do (though Chris is understandably
preoccupied with things closer to home at the moment).  I still remember
that very first "pre ALE" organizational meeting in a classroom at
Georgia Tech and having to drag more and more chairs from other rooms to
handle the overflow crowd that showed up (while some of us are standing
around shaking our heads and laughing and others are picking their jaws
up off the floor in shock).  [AND do NOT get me started about ALS...
What were we thinking?]

I'm very pleased to see some traffic on the list today (I was getting a
bit concerned for an hour or two earlier this morning).  I have received
confirmation from Chris that the changes to our nameservers had been
made in the domain registration, which I promptly confirmed through
several remote domains I have access to, including my samba.org account.
All seems well, and we have mailing list traffic to confirm it!  :-)=)

Our DNS service is now being provided by Hurricane Electric's name
servers (temporarily back up with one of my own at WittsEnd) at he.net.
We're even looking at the possibility of plumbing IPv6 from HE to the
ALE server (whether we advertise THAT in our DNS is another matter for
another day well after we get it working).  I will be looking into
improving our name server diversity a little bit more but they have 5
diverse name servers that are very reliable.  We've also had an offer of
another slave name server, which we much appreciate.  We'll explore
things further as the dust settles.

> peace
> aaron

Regards!