[ale] no video showing up on new system

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 1 12:32:17 EDT 2011

A friend gave me a new Intel DP45SG motherboard and a Q9550 Core 2 Quad processor
so I bought what I thought would be a good set of DIMMs to go with it. The DIMMs
are quantity 2 of DDR3 1333MHz 4GB. So I put it together in a new case and a 430W
power supply. The system will turn on but I get no video. Looking over on-line docs
for the motherboard I decided perhaps the 4GB DIMMs were not suited for the mother
board so I purchased some 2GB DDR3 1333MHz DIMMs instead with high hopes that this
would solve the no video problem. No such luck. The motherboard has an on-board
mini speaker which I believe is where any post beep codes should come out. I am
getting nothing from that speaker so I decided to try hooking a regular external
speaker up to the standard audio ports to see if I was getting anything there.
Nada, nothing, zilch.

I tried two different video cards that work in other systems fine but I still get
no video out when I power on this system.

In looking over the specs for the q9550 processor I see it is supposed to have
a 1333MHz FSB and the motherboard definitely lists support for DDR3 1333MHz memory.

Anyone here have any ideas or suggestions?
--
Steven DuChene