[ale] VPS or not

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 31 15:59:05 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 13:56 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> I'm sure the outgoing bandwidth for a node is limited (100Mb?), but
> incoming doesn't seem to be. I pull updates from the GATech Debian
> mirror so fast it's like they didn't even download. Of course, my node
> is located in the Atlanta facility (you get to pick which data center
> you want).

I have the Linode 512, and each one has 200 GB of transfer quota a
month.  The quota is pooled between the two of them, as well (that is
AWESOME), so really, it's 400 GB that can be used up by both in any
proportion.  I __LOVE__ that.

I've only used 2%.

And that's with the torrent for January's ALE meeting still going on one
of them.  One of them is a mail server, and the other one is a monitor
server.

> As for reliability, my node was running non-stop (at least according
> to `uptime`) for ~340 days before I had to reboot for a kernel
> upgrade. I'm running three Wordpress sites (and a couple other
> non-Wordpress) via Lighttpd, with MySQL on the same node, and
> everything is smooth and quick. I use the Linode 768 package.  Here
> are some current stats:

AFAIK, I've never had downtime other than that which I caused myself.

	--- Mike