[ale] VPS or not

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Thu Mar 31 15:57:59 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:34 PM, David Hillman <hillmands at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using Amazon EC2 and Rackspace for a little while now to do
> testing and just to play around with different things.  Now, I want to run a
> couple of permanent Drupal/Joomla sites and don't want to use a dedicated
> server at my place due to maintenance issues, etc.  Shared hosting is out
> due to security concerns.  I would prefer something like a VPS because of
> pricing.  The question is--how reliable are they?  Anybody using Linode or
> Slicehost and happy about the experience?  Slicehost is a little bit more
> expensive, but they seem to offer a lot of stuff for the money.

I have used Linode, Prgmr.com and Tektonic.  I have been satisfied with
Linode and Tektonic, and unsatisfied with Tektonic.  We recently migrated
from a Speakeasy DSL to Tektonic in part because someone on this list
recommended them.  They might be fine for websites, but the various stupid
issues I had to deal with over the last month like logrotation not working.
 The final straw was discovering the rDNS had only one server and a TTL of
60 seconds, that would be fine for web sites, it is not acceptable for mail.
 We are moving to Prgmr and that should be completed tomorrow or Saturday,
but I have until Friday to avoid paying another month.

Chuck