[ale] .NET considered harmful

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 29 19:12:17 EDT 2011

On 3/29/2011 6:51 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:

> I've mainly used C on Atmel but am interested in using Arduino for ham
> radio related projects.  I've read that there are spin offs that are
> cheaper.  What is the CHEAPEST way to get started?  I could use serial
> port output or relays to key radios.
>
> Right now I'm using a serial port interface I built on proto-board.
>
> Chris
> <snip>

I've used the WinAVR studio under windows, mainly to program their
ATUSBKEY demo module (currently being used to convert an old MS
Sidewinder precision pro from gameport to a usb connection).  Other than
that the programmers were a little bit pricey for what I wanted to do.
I read somewhere that it's possible to use an arduino to program a wide
swat of Atmel Chips, haven't had time to look into it further.
As far as the cheapest way to get started, I would say get one official
arduino uno (no punn intended, lolz), then build the additional mC
circuits on breadboard or what ever you're planning on doing. You won't
need the usb interface chip as you can use the one on the genuine Uno to
program yours.  As far as relay control, I recommend a high power shift
register driver directly connected to 5v relays.  See the sparkfun links
for ideas.  I could be misunderstanding what you're trying to do, so
elaborate a little.  Reply off the mailing list.  Don't want to upset
anyone.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/734
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/524