[ale] .NET considered harmful

John Pilman jcpilman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 09:42:35 EDT 2011

> All I think the author is saying is, if I've got a person who is a true-blue
> programmer, a "maker of things", chances are extremely good they will have
> core languages where the sky is the limit, and if they really love
> programming and do it all the time, will ultimately become annoyed at
> "cookie-cutter" environments that lay everything out in pre-fabricated ways.
>  Not because those ways are particularly bad but because it isn't the nature
> of a programmer of the type they are searching for.  One who works from the
> ground up in core programming rather than platform development.  There is a
> difference, and it is not small.

I disagree.  It would have been great if that was what he was saying.
Basically he is a big fish in a small pond and taking a shot at a
Microsoft makes him feel bigger.  He spends a lot of the blog slamming
Microsoft and .NET.  What he says about them may be true, but it does
not help to identify good programmers.

If he is looking for programmers who like to program and try different
things, any short list of languages would be suspect.

I wish you, Jerald or Don, had written that blog instead.  You both
did a better job describing good programmers than the original author.

...John