[ale] OT: Disposal of standard fluorescent lamps?

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Mar 29 07:44:39 EDT 2011

Ron Frazier wrote:
> I went all CFL about a year ago in my house for all screw in bulbs. Room
> lights are circular FL, and a couple of rooms have 4 ft. tubes. I think
> the old 4 ft. tubes are not terribly efficient because of the old
> ballast. Just haven't gotten around to replacing them. I removed the two
> or three dimmers that were in the house. It's somewhat frustrating
> without them, but not too bad. In some fixtures, I left a couple of
> sockets empty so everything wasn't so bright. Using the dimmer on the
> CFL will destroy the electronics as far as I know. By the way, the same
> thing applies to using them with a photo sensor or motion detector,
> unless they're specifically rated for CFL. Generally, to work properly,
> the photo sensor or motion detector would have to activate the lamp with
> a relay rather than a solid state switch as far as I know.

I've not heard about this issue with the photo sensor, but I've got an
outside spot light set (two bulbs) controlled by a photo sensor and it
works just fine with the two CFLs I've got in there.  I've got two other
spot light sets on my house that auto dim, so I can't use the CFLs with
those.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."