[ale] OT: Disposal of standard fluorescent lamps?

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 28 22:06:16 EDT 2011

PS to my prior message of a few minutes ago.

A CFL will typically consume 1/4 of the energy of an incandescent bulb
of similar output. So, 100 W incandescent <--> 25 W CFL. You'd have to
run the dimmer and the incandescent pretty low to match the CFL energy
wise. However, even all the lights in the house are usually a small part
of the electrical load in this region. They compete with ranges,
microwaves, washers, dryers, heat pumps, heaters, refrigerators, dish
washers, etc. I say, if you want your dimmers, just put in incandescent
bulbs and don't worry about energy usage. It may get harder and harder
to find bulbs though. You may be able to find some LED dimmable bulbs,
but they're probably not cheap.

Ron