[ale] PuTTY

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Fri Mar 25 09:24:43 EDT 2011

After you login with PuTTY are you using bash/sh/ksh?  If so type "echo
$TMOUT" and see if that variable is set.   The TMOUT variable tells the
shell to exit after the number of seconds specified.   Some folks
(including us) put it into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/profiles to logout
users so they don't leave idle sessions open.   We also put a shorter
TMOUT in roots .bashrc or .bash_profile or .profile to insure su's to
root exit back to the parent user when left idle.    There is a similar
setting for csh but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head.

It's also possible your networking folks are doing some sort of idle
session timeout but you'd have to check with them on that.

PuTTY by itself doesn't have a setting for timeouts so far as I know.  I
use it quite extensively to get to Linux/BSD/HP-UX systems.