[ale] How do people deal with RHEL?

gene.poole at macys.com gene.poole at macys.com
Thu Mar 24 15:56:23 EDT 2011

I think everyone has overlooked Red Hat's true function.  Their true
function is selling support.  They don't sell you software (if you exclude
JBoss and RHDS), just support.  It's impossible to sell support with a
included piece of software that may not be 100% compatible with the
designated Linux kernel and make money.  The fewer calls to the RH Support
Center, the less money they have to pay the support engineer's above their
base pay.

You want 1 additional package and I want another additional package, after
awhile you've got Fedora... And I'm not saying anything is wrong with
fedora. A business buys Red Hat for stability and knowing that a support
site is there to help when one of the included packages breaks.

It seems we aren't looking at Red Hat as a business like the ones we work
for. Red Hat and other businesses make money by selling their product at
what the market will bear and keeping the 'cost of doing business' as low
as possible.

Thanks,
Gene Poole