[ale] How do people deal with RHEL?

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Thu Mar 24 11:29:28 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean really, this stupid distribution doesn't even include useful tools:

I've said the same thing about SuSE and Ubuntu - any commercial
distribution is going to pare down their supported software, although
there are usually "unsupported" community methods to install whatever
you want.

I will often search via RPMfind, then pick whatever repo seems most
reliable. I've used Dag's work before and found it to be good:

http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/dag/redhat/el5/i386/ntop-3.3.8-2.el5.rf.i386.html
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/

And "back in my day", I had to install gtar if I wanted "z" as an
option to tar, since that was a GNU extension and Solaris ignored GNU
and used their own old-school (and always backward compatible!)
utilities. :)

-Lachlan