[ale] Bash - Advanced Scripting Guide

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Mar 23 10:06:14 EDT 2011

Years ago there was a small Que book for shell scripting that I liked because it was quick and easy to use.   I was a Sr. Tech at a call center so any time I saw that book in a book or computer store I'd buy copies and give them to Jr. techs.   Not so long ago one of those then Jr. techs connected with me on Linked-In and mentioned how he still had the copy I'd given him so long ago.

Calling Bourne a "subset" of BASH just sounds wrong to me - it implies BASH was first.  Since Korn shell was an enhanced shell that built on Bourne and BASH takes a lot from both I'd say calling BASH a superset of Bourne/Korn/Posix makes more sense.