[ale] vmware decreasing hard disk size

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Mar 21 13:42:55 EDT 2011

No, gparted moves filesystems. It may or may not move the partitions boot
sector, but the MBR is a definite no-no. The MBR can, however, be manually
copied, so long as only the code segment and not the partition table itself
is copied. See the wikipedia article for MBR for the layout of the MBR. If
memory serves, code is the first 440 bytes of the MBR but I am not 100%
certain of that.

--
Sent from my phone... a G2 running CM7 nightlies!