[ale] how do I list big files

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Mar 20 10:21:17 EDT 2011

Yes, > is the shell redirection operator. 2> says to redirect CD number two,
which is the stderr stream.  Without an integer supplied, the stdout stream
(number 1) is the default.

The < operator is input redirection. Its default target is the process' fd 0
(stdin), though again that can be changed. A program that, for example,
opened a socket connection as fd 5 and fd 6 could be used with shell
redirection (and even fancier pipelining) if desired.

Again, I think you should spend some time getting familiar with "UNIX" as a
whole.  Even concepts from the late 60s and 70s are still applicable on
moden systems, and the basics are essentially unchanged.  :)

--
Sent from my phone... a G2 running CM7 nightlies!
On Mar 20, 2011 9:54 AM, "Ron Frazier" <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>