[ale] Pixieo (mp4) of Central MTG GPG prez by David Tomaschik available

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 13:39:46 EDT 2011

The live switched video recording of the GPG presentation
given by David Tomaschik at the 2011.03.17 ALE CENTRAL
meeting  is now available for download or streaming at:
 <http://arxion.net/ale/ale-20110317-gpg-tomaschik.mp4>

File is 1.8 MB, h.264 encode in an mp4 wrapper. Posting at
additional host sites welcome - just let the list know where
you make it available and I'll also add the URL to the
ALE web page notice.  Don't know if I'll get around to
posting this to a torrent, but if someone wants to explore
that adventure I can recommend LinuxTracker.org

Thanks again for the patience of everyone who attended
the meeting and sat through my 30 minute demonstration
of setting up all the A/V connections and components
needed for a small TV studio.

There was a little 60 cycle hum in the video, but outside
of that it's pretty clean and readable. A caution that the
audio came through very loud. I'll make an effort to
squash those bugs for next time.

Sorry about the occasional buzzy digital noise in the
sound track, but someone nearby in the building was
apparently using a CrackBerry, and these are notorious
for ignoring the valuable FCC regs so that they spew
out-of-band digital RF puke that bleeds into all other
electronic devices in the immediate area (like AV gear).

Last note is that for anyone interested in the history
and mathematics of gpg / pgp / public key encryption,
our most senior ALE member, Zeb Morgan, is a fan
of such things and forwarded this link:
<http://www.livinginternet.com/i/is_crypt_pkc_inv.htm>
The page mentions the 1977 Scientific American / Martin
Gardner "Mathematical Games" column that Zeb and
I recalled as the flint that first sparked our interest in
the public key enigma. Though Zeb was unable to
locate the hard copy he thought he had on file and
web searches didn't turn up an archived copy, I did
find some interesting branches on Wikipedia:
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Public_key_cryptography>
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/RSA-129#RSA-129>
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Martin_Gardner>

peace