[ale] mythubuntu 32 bit vs (Ubuntu 64 bit + mythtv)

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:14:07 EDT 2011

My opinion is that you should really skip the distributions that try
to do everything for you. A MythTV machine is an appliance. It should
be built as such. Given that, I believe you should start with a
distribution that requires you to install exactly what you need. The
only distributions that I can think of, which are still easy to
maintain, are Debian and Arch Linux. Of the two, I would, and do,
choose Arch Linux for this purpose.

In terms of 32bit or 64bit, well, that's really up to you. There
really isn't much reason to go 64bit other than a potential for
reduced encode times. But I've never seen that comparison made, so who
knows if the Myth tools even benefit from a 64bit architecture in that
regard.