[ale] just installed LibreOffice in Linux, should have been easier

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 14 15:16:00 EDT 2011

Hi Aaron,

Comments below.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 03/14/2011 12:21 PM, aaron wrote:

>> On 03/13/2011 08:06 AM, arxaaron wrote:
>>
>>> I love it when people take the most difficult route to
>>> a destination and then blame the people who provided
>>> the map.
>>>

> On 2011/03/13, at 20:11 , Ron Frazier wrote:
>
>> I followed the instructions on the LibreOffice website download page.
>> How am I supposed to know there are all these easier methods
>> elsewhere?
>>

> A fair question.
>
> GNU / Linux and FLOSS are about freedom and choice and informed control,
> so there are always lots of choices and the easiest or best option
> isn't always
> the most obvious.   My snark came from your misguided comparisons to
> Mafia$oft windisease, which you seemed to be praising for allowing you
> NO freedom and NO choice and NO control.  This was a repeat of your

I was praising the fact that I got LibreOffice up and running on Windows
a heck of a lot faster and easier than I did in Linux by following the
most obvious method of installation.  Granted, there was an easier
method I didn't know about at the time.

> lopsided comparison of file transfer speeds where you shackled Linux
> to the
> leaden weights of a closed source, proprietary, alien file system
> before the
> race and then praised the guy that forged and locked those shackles in
> place
> for appearing to be faster.

I guess there is no fair way to do that test.  What I was really
comparing was user experience on one OS vs the other OS.  I didn't want
to do the test from the system drive back to the same drive.  The only
destination drive I had was formatted to NTFS.  So, Linux apparently
cannot transfer to NTFS as fast as from EXT4, and Windows cannot
transfer to EXT4 at all.  So there's no real way to do the test that
isn't apples and oranges.  Even with Windows, I was sort of complaining
about the fact that I was getting 60 MB / sec across a SATA interface
that should be capable of 300 MB / sec.  The fact that Linux was doing
30 MB / sec, which I can do to a USB 2.0 drive, while I was testing on
SATA, was even more annoying.

> Mac is an expensive Apple. Windisease is a worm ridden, rotten to the
> core
> Apple.  Linux is a vast array of fresh and healthy (but sometimes
> tart...) citrus
> fruits, free for the picking. Without a major effort to account for
> the weight of
> commercial roadblocks and restrictions that are tipping the scales,
> almost
> any level of direct comparison across the proprietary divide is
> inaccurate
> and unfair.

So, do you have an opinion about Windows?  Just kidding.

This is probably a flame war for another day, but here's how I see it.
Let's discount the last 5 years.  For the 20 years prior to that, if you
wanted a GUI based computer that's relatively functional, stable,
usable, and affordable, you bought a PC with Windows.  Otherwise, you
bought a Mac at twice the price.  Linux, in my opinion, during that time
frame, wasn't even a contender in the marketplace for a GUI desktop for
the average Joe or Jane.  I think the first Ubuntu, which I think was
6.01 or something in 2006, was the first major turning point, or at
least the first one I was aware of, to make Linux a viable contender for
the desktop for average people.  It was also the first or second Linux I
ever burned to CD.  Even having burned every Ubuntu since then to CD,
and tinkered with them more around 2009, Ubuntu 10.04 is the first one
I've ever been willing to even consider running on my machine all the
time as my primary OS, and I'm still running it.  The simple reason is
that, when I installed it, everything just worked, on the hardware I
had, without jumping through lots of hoops, including the wireless,
which is the only way my PC's attach to the net.  Actually, I had to
attach my Dell laptop running Ubuntu to my Windows machine at first,
share the internet connection from the Windows machine, then download a
patch for the wireless driver to work.  Except for that minor hiccup,
the Ubuntu has worked fine on my laptop, and I can do most of what I
want to do in Linux.

So, in my opinion, the reason that Windows has a billion users and that
they were willing to pay lots of money to have it was that there was no
viable alternative combination of functionality and usability and
price.  Now, fortunately, Linux is coming on the scene as a much more
viable alternative for the average person.  However, I still wouldn't
recommend that my sister or my Dad try to install it.  I might recommend
that they let me install it as a dual boot option and get all set up and
then they can use it.

I see the OS of the PC as a tool.  It allows the computer to run and
presents options to the user for applications that they can use to do
the things they want to do and provides the infrastructure needed for
those things to run.  If the only tool choice you have is proprietary
and expensive, then you're going to use that.  If you have one that's
free, and it does what you want, and the difficulty is similar, and
performance is similar or better, and it's more secure, then the average
Joe / Jane will consider moving over.  Even then, many people don't have
an incentive to climb the learning curve.  Many are oblivious to the
security risks, and their system does what they want, and it's
compatible to their coworkers' stuff, so why change it?

I have never had a technological reason to try to convert to Linux.
Almost anything I want the computer to do, Windows Vista or 7 can do
quite nicely.  There are a few things I can't do on Linux that I have to
reboot to Windows to do.  The reasons I'm here, as described in other
posts, are intellectual curiosity, desire to know about something that's
up and coming, reducing maintenance somewhat (although maintaining a
dual boot machine is more of a bear than doing one OS, but I don't deal
with Windows as often), reducing security concerns substantially, and to
reduce costs of upgrades, etc.  The first two reasons don't apply to
most computer users.  The next two may apply, but they probably don't
want to think about it very much.  They may or may not know about, and
think about the last one.

So, if the motive for the average Joe / Jane is moderate at best to
switch, and there are some significant disincentives to doing that, like
who will support me and my coworkers don't use that and will my printer
or scanner work, then the barriers to entry need to be as low as
possible.  That was the thrust of my prior discussion.

> Still, while your platform comparisons are invalid, your observations
> about
> Linux software installation needing simplification have merit.  Not

Wow!  Does that mean I'm no longer the black sheep of the family?  8-)

> surprisingly,
> an answer to your concern from the FLOSS community is in the works:
>
> According to the lead article in the Newsdesk section of the April
> 2011 Linux
> Format magazine, a collaborative developer group that is being
> supported by
> most all the major distros has emerged to work on a unified FLOSS
> software
> repository and installation API.  The Project Bretzn goals are to
> simplify
> software access and installation across all the mainstream Linux distro
> choices.  The article notes that if Canonical is willing to make their
> "Software Centre" available under a different license, the unified
> repository and installation API could be available in as little as 6
> months.

Actually, I think that project is really cool.  If they can make it
work, I think it will be much easier for more people to use Linux.

> “The current package
> managers expose way too much
> complexity to the end user. The normal
> user doesn’t care about dependencies,
> libraries and other internals. They care
> about screenshots, descriptions,
> ratings, tags, comments,
> recommendations from friends and
> other features that current package
> managers don’t provide,”
>
> Video of the meeting is at<http://youtu.be/BHeP2ZBwS_U>

Just out of curiosity, how did you get the text?  Do they publish their
articles on the internet?  I've started reading Linux User and
Developer, which may be the same publisher.  It would be neat to get
that online.  That's a neat article you quoted.  Those British magazines
are beautiful, but SOO expensive.