[ale] Where to get some Hard Drive mounting screws?

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 14 14:10:04 EDT 2011

William,

Those pictures are pretty cool, and I'm saving a copy.  It's a neat idea
to use a scanner.  Looks like they're floating in mid air.  The thing I
was concerned about for the original poster was the thread pitch.
That's why I suggested doing some comparison.  From your image, it looks
like B and E are what's usually used for HDD mounting.  It appears that
their thread pitch is the same.  I don't think the head shape is too
critical, as long as it doesn't go through the slot in the case.  One is
slightly longer, which could be a problem with certain screw holes on
laptop HDD's particularly.

C and D both seem to have the same fine threads.  I've seen those on
occasion, but don't remember for sure where, maybe for mounting CD / DVD
drives.

The only place I've seen A used is to screw into plastic case fan
housings.  The advantage of that is that the fan doesn't need threads,
and the screw doesn't need a nut.  I have a suspicion that reattaching
the fan if you remove it is much harder, but I haven't tested that.

I suspect that the head of B and D are similar if not identical.  If so,
you could use another B for your head photo of D.

Sincerely,

Ron