[ale] [OT] updating, securing OpenOffice, Adobe Reader / Flash

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 14 10:12:04 EDT 2011

Hi Mike T.,

Thanks for the note. See comments below.

On 03/14/2011 12:12 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 10:01 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
>
>> OpenOffice is now up to version 3.3.  However, my version 3.2 was not
>> updating properly.  When I'd say check for updates, it just failed.
>> When I heard it was at a new rev level, I uninstalled it and installed
>> version 3.3.  My Ubuntu version is still at 3.2.  I'm not sure why.
>>
> Ubuntu's policies prohibit major upgrades like that.  That does not mean
> that all is lost, however.  They will backport security-related patches
> to whatever version(s) are in their repositories for distributions that
> are still supported, and so you still receive security updates in that
> way.  That said, dpkg has a long way to go before they get this done
> efficiently.  A minor security patch that might only be 100 lines of
> source changes still requires that you re-download the whole friggin'
> package once they've finished a rebuild.  Alas, nothing is perfect.

I inadvertently created double trouble for myself. First, I decided to
upgrade OpenOffice. Then, I found out LibreOffice "final" was out and
decided to convert to that. LibreOffice is at version 3.3.1, which is
probably equivalent to OpenOffice at the moment. So, hopefully it will
stay up to date on my system. It's good to know that they backport
security changes though.

> That also said, I think it is important to note that blindly patching
> things can be just as detrimental as patching nothing at all.  I am not
> saying audit every single change, but there is a balance somewhere
> between patching everything, all the time, and patching nothing at all.
> Security patches themselves can introduce security problems, and some
> (though few that I can recall) have been known to break backward
> compatibility in some cases.  There have been a few security fixes in
> Samba that I can recall that have had the effect of breaking backwards
> compatibility (though for the ones that I can recall, they were well
> worth it).
>
> 	--- Mike

I know what you mean. I don't manage corporate computers at this time,
so I can't speak to that. However, for my personal systems, and friends
and family systems, I've waffled over the issue. I used to want to look
at the patch list every time. I finally broke down and turned on auto
update on all the Windows systems. At least that way, I know Windows and
MS Apps and Microsoft Security Essentials will be patched almost all the
time. I have heard of a non trivial number, but still low, of patches
breaking things. Fortunately, I don't think I've ever encountered more
than one. I think service pack 3 for Vista messed up a lot of people's
systems temporarily. I heard about that and delayed installing that for
about a year. However, I did have all the incremental upgrades that came in.

For my Linux systems, I pretty much take a quick glance over the patch
list when Update Manager pops up every week or so, but I think I've
always, to this point, told it to install all the things it wanted to.
That may be the best compromise of effectiveness and efficiency for the
average user. I have observed that, if there's anything related to the
kernel in the patch list, I can expect a reboot. Linux seems more
tolerant about it than Windows, and more willing to wait for the restart
and then activate new things.

Sincerely,

Ron