[ale] Canonical makes Apple look so good... (but at least they aren't SUSE)

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:11:01 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM, arxaaron <arxaaron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Like several others, I don't see much reason for all the fussing and
> fuming and badmouthing over totally petty dispute that seems to
> be pretty broadly misrepresented in these commentaries.
>
> Overall, Ubuntu & Canonical have done a great deal of good for the
> community by providing a cohesive branding and a visibility to
> consumers that has always been sorely missing from the Linux world.
> I think Mark Shuttleworth is sincere in his efforts to make Linux a
> viable
> consumer choice in the market and is generally respectful of the FLOSS
> community principles, even though he may not fully understand how
> to adhere to the accepted standards of practice for FLOSS development.
> The community will educate him in time or Ubuntu will evolve into
> something different.
>
> Also, look at the up side....
>
> At least Canonical is still a far cry from being as bad a sell out as
> SUSE.
>
> Much as I hate the mega-ego-maniacal Steve Jobs, emulating Apple's
> proprietary schemes is still infinitely preferable to cutting deals
> with Mafia$oft.
>
> peace
> aaron
>

> On 2011/03/10, at 14:33 , Jerald Sheets wrote:

>> I think I'm going back to FreeBSD...   :-D
>>

>> #!/jerald
>> Linux User #183003
>> Ubuntu User #32648
>> Public GPG Key:  http://questy.org/js.asc

Arron,

First of all SUSE doing a lot for the community. Look at SUSE Studio,
KIWI can be downloaded and used by any free of charged to build their
own service like SUSE Studio and Open Build Services. SUSE has reached
out at every openSUSE Con to other distro to come join and build an
open community. We don't look at ourselves as a distro any more, but a
project work towards the goal of the linux community.

What amazes me about your comment, where are the fact. I didn't see
any where  that it an editorial.

Well Novell actually stopped requiring code attribution for their Free
Software projects, unlike Ubuntu who even tries to legitimize it with
their evil 'project Harmony'. Novell contributes, Canonical does not.
If you work on a Novell project, you keep the code - Canonical wants
to own your ass. Novell allows openSUSE to be independent and even
supports it; canonical blocked a project to create a foundation behind
Ubuntu.

Pup

--
(678) 636-9678