[ale] Canonical makes Apple look so good...

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 19:04:04 EST 2011

Pat Regan wrote:
<snipped>
> The glacial pace of Debian releases is the reason I switched to
> Ubuntu...
>
> I ran exclusively Debian from the late nineties up until Ubuntu 5.04 or
> 5.10.  For my own purposes Ubuntu has meant "Debian with a 6 month
> release schedule."
>
> Am I the only one running Ubuntu for this reason?

I briefly swapped from Debian to Ubuntu a few years ago.  I appreciated
how easy it was and liked many of the things Ubuntu offered me
initially.  After a while I began to be annoyed by little things and
eventually went back to Debian.

Since then I have run a mixed system (for years now) with no real
problems.  I don't know if this is due to the influence of Ubuntu's
release cycle, but suspect it has more to do with better and more prompt
bug fixes.

That said, I still recommend Ubuntu for most people's initial Linux
experience.  It was fairly easy to install, got most everything setup
correctly, and did so with very little guesswork on the users part.
Thats difficult to beat.

Recently though I've been pushing either Linux Mint or Peppermint
(depending on their hardware and needs) to anyone that wants to give
Linux a try.  Mainly because of the hardware and codec support.
Prospective users don't care as much about free software as they do
having their hardware work like they've come to expect.

Eventually though, most of the ones I know transition to Debian.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/