[ale] Which large capacity drives are you having the best luck with?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Mar 7 20:49:48 EST 2011

On 03/07/2011 03:33 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> I typically use pre_clear.sh to scrub my disks:
>>
>> http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2010/07/18/wiping-a-hard-drive-with-preclear_disk-sh/
>>
>> This script is free and runs on Linux (no need for Windows). Anyone
>> know of other disk scrubbing tools for Linux?
>
> I started looking at this script but it seems to want to depend on
> running on an unRAID system.  It doesn't seem like it's a general Linux
> solution.  In particular, it's looking for a file /boot/config/disk.cfg,
> which doesn't exist on my system, and it seems like it can't even list
> available disks.
>
> Are you using unRAID?  If not, how did you get this script to work for you?

I think that "badblocks -w $DEVICE" would be a reasonable substitute.

-w     Use write-mode test. With this option, badblocks scans  for  bad
blocks  by  writing  some  patterns  (0xaa, 0x55, 0xff, 0x00) on every
block of the device, reading every block and comparing the  contents.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts