[ale] Canonical makes Apple look so good...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 12:07:15 EST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Ouch.
>

> I’m a RedHat fan but do need to point out that RedHat did annoy many in the
> Linux world when they first introduced RHEL as distinct from old RedHat
> Linux.    They began support of the Fedora project as a result of that
> outcry IIRC.   For commercial use though RHEL definitely is the one most 3rd
> party software vendors seem to build along with Suse to a lesser degree.  I
> also heard (but didn’t see) a story last week about how RedHat is now going
> to release source bundles already patched to try to slow down upstream
> builds from its source such as Oracle EL and CentOS.
>

> I’ve never used Ubuntu myself but have seen a lot to suggest it has been the
> distro of choice for many for their personal systems at least.   My guess is
> it isn’t going to go away any time soon.

RedHat was looking at a community based version at the same time as
the RHEL process but it took longer to bring about because of legal
issues (trademarks, names, fedora was owned elsewhere, etc.).  Ubuntu
is dependent on Debian but is trying to be the tail wagging the dog
without having the resources to make it work. Bad move Cannonical.

For the life of RHEL5, there has been a steady, professional working
relationship between RedHat and CentOS (and Scientific Linux). They
all do share bug notices and fixes. The fly in the ointment is Oracle.
They take and don't give back. They profit and don't contribute or
support. CentOS doesn't take revenue from RedHat as the CentOS admins
would have never bought a RedHat support license anyway. But Oracle is
directly competing, using the GPL code written by RedHat and others,
pocketing the cash and not contributing in any meaningful way back to
the process they depend on. They are leeches.

I have groused in this thread about Cannonical being basically
arrogant and having a status built on marketing and not technical
apptitude. (yes they have some but not enough to justify their
actions) But Oracle is a total leech and is a prime example of why the
kernel would benefit from migrating to GPL v3

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.