[ale] [ALE] Hardware issues w/Linux

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Mar 5 10:57:36 EST 2011

Scott,

I'm running the 790fx-gd70 fine with 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 and the same
CPU.  Make sure you update the BIOS on the board.  I had to do that
before putting the new CPU in it.  You can download the BIOS file to a
memory stick, then boot into BIOS setup and flash the bios from there.
You don't need to have the OS running.  Also, try going into the BIOS
and selecting SAFE defaults.

I'm going to lunch now at 11 AM, but you can call me later if you want
and I'll do what I can to help.  I'm certainly not a Linux kernel expert
though.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 03/05/2011 10:11 AM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Got a new MoBo from MSI the 890FXa-GD70, to replace my Gigabyte bd.
> Transferred the AMD Phenom II X4 965, AData 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333,
> and installed the HIS 5770. Attempted to boot and BAM! kernel panic.
> It boots 32 bit Live Linux fine, but cannot handle 64 bit. A 64 bit
> install DVD gives the same results. Could this be a CPU chip problem,
> or even a RAM problem that Memtest is not catching?
>
> Signed,
> Desperate & Confused.

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.