[ale] [OT] Databases of viruses/malware

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Mar 2 15:50:33 EST 2011

Hi Randy,

I'm sorry, but, based on all the information I've heard from technical
resources I trust, mostly podcasts on the TWIT network, many, but not
all, modern viruses can either evade detection while the infected system
is running or evade removal. In some cases, they use rootkit technology
to hide themselves even from the operating system. In some cases, format
and restore is the only option to be certain the virus is gone. If I or
my family had a virus of any consequence, this is the method I would
use. It depends on what you do with the computer, but I certainly don't
want any doubts as to whether someone in Russia is receiving the logins
to my bank account or copies of my tax returns. To each his own though.
At the very least, I would boot a recovery CD and try to remove the
virus from there. That way, the virus is not active while you're trying
to get rid of it. Also, keep in mind that modern computer viruses
mutate, the same way as biological ones do. They self encrypt parts of
themselves. So, the signature for the virus may change from day to day
and machine to machine.

A number of good technology related podcasts are available at:

http://www.twit.tv/

Sincerely,

Ron