[ale] exploring features of LXDE - was laptop hinge broke! day going downhill!

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Mar 1 12:00:26 EST 2011

Hi Preston,

I had some serious installation problems with LXDE after trying to
install the lubuntu-desktop package on top of a standard Ubuntu 10.04
installation. One of which was two gdm programs fighting for control of
the CPU and pegging it at about 85-90% all the time. Most of the details
are posted in this thread:

had a terrible time installing lubuntu-desktop 02/24/11 11:39 PM

I really didn't give LXDE much time on my system so I could get familiar
with it. I was just trying to get the PC back to normal operation.

I noticed that the panel widgets didn't seem as flexible and diverse as
GNOME. In order to customize the desktop, I deleted the default panels
and put back some new blank ones, and then couldn't find a way to get
the shut down button back, nor the trash can. They are not in the add to
panel menu. Frequency scaling was inop, and I had no way (that was
obvious) to get to my wireless setup and log into my router. Also, all
my menu items were reorganized. I think system / preferences and system
/ administration got combined. Also, I could not find any way to edit
the menus.

Desktop management didn't seem a lot faster than GNOME, and my brief
testing indicated that LXDE was only saving me 80 MB of ram versus the
GNOME desktop. That wasn't a big motivator for me on a 4 GB machine. For
what it's worth, I'm also running a full Ubuntu installation, with
GNOME, on a 1 GB machine. It's a bit slow at times, but acceptable. So,
on my laptop, I just decided to go back to what I know and am familiar
with.

Having said all that, I'm not bashing LXDE. I'm sure it works fine for
many users. Paul was recommending XFCE. I may try some of these other
things some time in a VM, but I definitely won't be attempting this type
of change on my normal machine to avoid the risk of compromising it.

Thanks for the well wishing about the hinge, but the hinge is still
broken. I'm considering replacing the lid / display, or buying a new
used computer. For the moment, I'm treating the computer like I'm
holding an egg or something. Later, I'm going to put a big piece of
Gorilla duct tape on it so the lid is stabilized. Hopefully, the "magic"
wire that runs from the base to the lid will not break. I've had that
fun experience before. It's a really fast way to turn a laptop into a
desktop. 8-)

If you have some experience with LXDE or XFCE, please post it. I still
want to learn about alternative ways of running Linux.

Sincerely,

Ron