[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 42, Issue 64

Andrew Sledge andrew at novologic.com
Fri Jul 22 14:23:44 EDT 2011

D6 will go away when D8 comes out. Judging from how long it took D7 to
come out, that could be a couple of years away.

The modules that aren't ported to D7 by now probably shouldn't be. In
addition to the significant changes in the API, there was an unexpected
benefit when D7 came out: it required PHP 5.2 which forced a lot of
people to rewrite their code - the majority of which was so horribly
written in the first place. I have a trusted set of modules that I stick
with: Panels, Views, Webform, Pathauto, CCK (which is native now),
ctools, and WYSIWYG. With this set you can do the majority of what any
CMS would need to do. Anything extra and you're teetering on the verge
of writing your own module. This, in and of itself, is simple enough but
you also become dependent on Drupal not fubaring things, which is
something that they have been known to do (albeit more in the earlier
days).