[ale] [OT] Laptop Battery Worth It?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Jul 14 17:10:07 EDT 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 13:56:48 -0400
David Tomaschik <david at systemoverlord.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm just in the wrong place financially... no way I could afford
> that hardware.  My current desktop is a C2D @ 2.0 GHz with 6GB of RAM,
> dual 1TB drives in RAID-1 and a GeForce 8400GT.  It slows to a grind
> under even 2 VMs running on it, and that's with a minimal Debian
> install in the VMs.

If you're building your own, those 6 core machines don't have to be
terribly expensive.  The 6 core AMD CPUS work in the same motherboards
as single core chips.

I don't know what you're doing in your virtual machines.  I wouldn't
even expect to be able to notice that a handful of mostly idle virtual
machines are running in the background on your hardware.  Can you tell
us more about what you're running?

> I currently have 1 Linode that I use to host my website, git
> repositories, and a few other things, but that's a mere Linode-512.
> At times, it's already stretched on RAM.

A long time ago I used to run Apache, PostgreSQL, bind, Sendmail, and
pop3ad on a vps with 96 meg of ram.  The only thing that needed a good
bit of tweaking was pg.

Pat