[ale] [OT] Laptop Battery Worth It?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 14 13:02:56 EDT 2011

"Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at water.com> writes:

> I once heard a laptop manufacturer's rep say the specs most users have
> for laptops is 4 x 8 core CPUs, 20 TB disk space, 10 GB ram, a full
> size keyboard, a 21 inch monitor and oh, by the way, make it way only
> 4 pounds.  :-)

I can live with 1 4-core CPU and 1-2TB disk.  But I do still want the
10GB ram and a nearly-full-size keyboard.  I can live with a 15" monitor
but dammit it had better have *at least* 1024 vertical, if not 1280 or
1600!  These stupid 1400x900 monitors SUCK ASS.  Oh, and yeah, I still
want it in 4lbs, although I'm willing to give you 4.5 ;)

Seriously, why do laptop screen suck so much now?  Who's "bright" idea
was it to make these long, thin screens that can't put two 80x24
terminals (xterm, gnome-terminal, etc) above/below each other?

-derek