[ale] [OT] Laptop Battery Worth It?

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Jul 13 16:07:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Jim Lynch
<ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> Microcenter keeps sending me sales flyers.  The last one had a laptop
> for under $300.  It's far and away bigger, faster, stronger than my
> $1100 Compaq of 6 years ago and I suspect faster than a system 76.
>
> Jim.

To me, just "faster" than what I have now is not a significant
motivator to upgrade/replace.  To me, it seems that small/incremental
upgrades are not worthwhile.  Maybe it's just me, but $300 for a
slight upgrade vs $600 for a significant upgrade does not seem to make
sense.  But maybe that's just me.

I'm also disappointed when I look at most of the current "consumer"
laptops.  I can't believe that the industry still sees < 3 hours of
battery life as acceptable.  I'm also amazed by the fact that these
15.6" monsters have become the prevalent size -- they look way too big
to really be portable to me.  I think they're probably just an
all-in-one with an attached keyboard.

Maybe I'm just picky, which is what makes this a tough decision.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com