[ale] questions for the media gurus

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 20:57:36 EDT 2011

Friends:

I need to have some questions clarified.

Audio questions

What is .ogg file, is that opensource equivalent of mp3 ?

Can iPod/iPhone play .ogg file ?

Can iTunes/Windows Media Player play .ogg file ?

Can Android phone play .ogg file ?

Does .ogg file give good compression ?

Video:

What is vorbis file, is that opensource equivalent of <what> ?

Can iPod/iPhone play .vorbis file ?

Can iTunes/Windows Media Player play .vorbis file ?

Can Android phone play .vorbis file ?

Does .vorbis file give good compression ?

Can Myth play vorbis files ?

I have videos that have come out of my dvr box(I played and recorded them).

I need to remove the ad(s).  I want to note down mark-in and mark-out points
in my Ulead Video Studio (it generates the .cue file if needed I guess)

Can I provide the video file and the cue file to the ffmpeg program and make
it trim and join the mark-in and mark-out points to produce video without
encoding ?

-Narahari