[ale] Internship

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Fri Jul 8 21:23:26 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 03:43:04PM -0700, jesse james wrote:
> Does anyone know about any internships that will boost my Linux skills
> (LAMP or Security)? As it is now, I am lacking experience to become a
> Linux Administrator.

Internships, no. Atlanta really isn't the city for that, although there are
other opportunities.

I will suggest two routes.
Route 1:
Look up projects on SourceForge, GitHub, Google Code, your choice GNU/Linux
distribution, whatever, and volunteer on something that interests you.
Publish your little hacks and invite comments and contribution. It'll be a
lot of electronic/on-line communication, but that covers a significant
amount of F/L/OSS work.

Route 2:
Keep an eye on Craigslist for companies offering Linux sysadmin jobs for
under $50,000. I see a lot of jobs come through that are in the 30s and low
40s and they're looking for people who are smart and know their way around a
shell but aren't very experienced. It'll pay better than an internship and
you might learn more but I wouldn't plan to make that job last long. Learn
and get out.

The first pays no money but is generally more fulfilling.
The second pays some money but is generally not fulfilling.

-L