[ale] Red Hat upgrades?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:17:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:34 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> I had RHEL 5.5 running and contacted RH to find out how to upgrade.  I
>> was told you couldn't do an upgrade from 5 to 6, it had to be a new
>> install.  Could be I was told wrong, but that is what I was told and
>> didn't pursue the matter further.
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/sn-upgrading-system-x86.html

I contacted them myself when the DVD kept refusing to find the
installed OS. Here is the response:

"An upgrade from RHEL 4.9 to RHEL 5.6 is not happening due to the fact
that there is a change in Major number between the 2 releases.

Inserting a DVD of RHEL 5.6 would provide you an option to Upgrade if
your Operating system were to be : RHEL 5.5.
This is possible because there is just a minor change in these versions.

RHEL 5.5 ==> RHEL 5.6 : Using RHEL 5.6 DVD : Up-gradable
RHEL 4.9 ==> RHEL 5.6 : Using RHEL 5.6 DVD : Not Up-gradable

Also,

RHEL 4.9 ==> RHEL 5.0 : Using RHEL 5.0 DVD : Not Up-gradable.

Every Major Release for example 4.x, 5.x, 6.x can be upgraded within
its range of minor releases i.e: 0-9.
However, to upgrade from a 4.x ==> 5.x, a fresh installation is needed
due to a platform change."

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/