[ale] Eudora OSE - maybe Thunderbird - IMAP Buggy

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Jan 31 21:28:35 EST 2011

Hello all,

I've been having various discussions on and off list about organizing
email.  A number of you have offered suggestions, which I appreciate.
I'm going to try to reply to some of those individually.  However, I
wanted to pass along some test results that I got while experimenting
with Eudora OSE, which is based on the Thunderbird codebase.

I did some testing on Eudora OSE and found that the email properties
propagation through IMAP is buggy.  Since Eudora OSE is based on
Thunderbird, this may affect it too.  The messages and folders do appear
properly, and replicate to the second machine, but the message
properties do not.

I set up a test email account on the server for my domain at 1and1.com
and forwarded my regular messages to it.  I set up accounts on two PC's
with Eudora OSE to log into this email by IMAP.  Then I let some
messages accumulate.

For testing, I decided to use the Read / Unread status, the color or
tag, and the priority.  The permutations are:
read / unread - 2 options
black / blue - 2 options (I just used one extra color for testing.)
normal / high / extra high priority - 3 options (I didn't test the two
low priorities.)

This means there are 12 total permutations.

I went about setting 12 messages each with one of these combinations of
features on PC 1, so every message had a different combination.  Then I
waited to see what would happen while I observed PC 2.

The priority is not propagated across the IMAP at all, at least, with
this email client and this email server.  The color appears to propagate
properly to the second PC.  The read / unread status is buggy.  I
observed several times that the messages I had marked read on PC 1 would
spontaneously become unread again on PC 1, whereas they should have
become read on PC 2.

So, at this point, I don't trust Eudora OSE to handle my IMAP email
properly.  I use those features all the time to organize messages in my
POP folders.

For the moment, I guess I'll stick to POP.  Again, thanks to all that
provided suggestions.  By the way, the bugzilla site for Thunderbird has
6000 bug reports.  That's kind of scary.

Sincerely,

Ron