[ale] LInux Based Media Players

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Mon Jan 31 08:18:39 EST 2011

I am intending to buy a media player and want to give preference to
Linux based systems.

Here is the kind of thing I am looking for (except this one _seems_ to
be windows based):
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5509365&CatId=3675

I don't want to build one, but having one I could hack would be a bonus.

There are several definitions of media players.  The one I am looking
for is basically a NAS drive with hdmi out.
I put a .mp4 on the NAS drive, and it appears on the selection of
shows to watch on the TV connected to the hdmi out.

One unusual feature I hope to find is: the ability to play a video,
but overlay the sound with a mp3.

Any comments?
--
Michael Potter