[ale] how do you delete IMAP server messages and not local copies

Collin Pruitt collin at collinp.com
Mon Jan 31 05:40:37 EST 2011

 On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 01:34:11 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hello all.  Several people have been encouraging me to use IMAP for
> email, and I've been investigating it.  I specifically want to
> download
> the messages to my local computer and have them available whether I'm
> connected to the internet or not, as well as be able to back them up.
> want all my computers synchronized when I'm connected to the net.
> AND,
> I want to be able to delete the messages from the server
> periodically,
> when they accumulate to too large a number; while still retaining the
> local copy on my machines.  I cannot seem to find any way to do that
> based on what I've been reading.  Anybody know if that can be done?

 I know there's a option in Thunderbird to delete the remote message but
 keep a local copy. Other than that, the only thing that I can suggest is
 testing deleting a message off the server itself and seeing if clients
 maintain their local copy or not, because I haven't had the experience
 of doing anything of that sort yet.

> I also read that IMAP have problems synchronizing thousands of
> messages in
> a folder, which is routine for me.

 I've heard nor experienced nothing of this kind with IMAP. My GMail
 account and my personal email account are both accessed over IMAP, and
 both have around 7000 messages in them.

--
 Collin Pruitt
 Ubuntu Member