[ale] MoBo works with kernel 2.6.29 but not newer.

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 14:24:13 EST 2011

On 01/28/2011 12:16 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> Hmmm...  Maybe "yes".  Maybe "no".  Maybe barking up wrong tree.
>
> Fire up that F11 and tell us the output from:
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Is it possible this is an older motherboard what was an i586?  F12
> switched from i586 to i686 and a number of the old AMD 586's and some of
> the earlier Geode cpu's no longer work.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Yeh, but then why does it work if I use the onboard video as my primary
video controller. I am able to get the PCIe or PCI video card to work
after booting with the proprietary driver Catalyst, haven't figured out
how to do it with the OSS drivers yet. My goal right now is to get this
thing to boot with utlimately my HD 5770 card as either the only video
controller with both my primary monitor panel (on my desk) and the HDTV
as a parttime secondary display off the HDD 5770 or possible have it off
the onboard video. I'll then concern myself with the rest. As far as I
know the MoBo is not actually an older board as it is identified as
using the AMD 890GX chipset and the CPU is identified as K10 Family
64bit and no mention of Geode that I remember.

I will try booting F11 again and check that what you mentioned. The only
thing different besides version is that it is a 32bit kernel and not a
64bit. Either at the time I did not have a 64bit CPU or it wasn't
readily available, I can't remember.