[ale] Mount a remote NTFS partition

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jan 27 11:01:00 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 23:47 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> NOTE: I recall it is "bad practice" to have shares as foo$. Something
> about that being a low level identifier (?) Don't recall details but
> it's supposed to be better to create a folder to share out rather than
> a full drive drive.

There is something special about the dollar sign in the filesystem
namespace (even the network filesystem namespace) in Windows, but I
can't recall for the life of me what it is.

Has anyone managed to figure out yet if Windows ever added support for
POSIX filesystem semantics to their CIFS implementation?

	--- Mike