[ale] Why do they keep putting VGA on Netbooks?!?!

Thu Jan 27 08:19:56 EST 2011

No. There are lots of flaws in your understanding.
1. DVI out (which is always DVI-I) includes both digital and analog.
Therefore, it is easily "adapted" to VGA or HDMI via simple pin mapping. No
electronics needed to do conversion.
2. DVI inputs (which are almost always DVI-D) will not accept DVI-A which is
what you would have if you adapted VGA to DVI. This is because there is no
D-A chipset backing that port.
3. VGA is not widely "compatible". All VGA signals start off digital inside
the video card. They then pass through a D-A converter chipset. If that
signal is sent to either a DVI port or the rare new DisplayPort both digital
AND analog is available. This is compatible with ALL displays. If that
signal is sent to VGA the digital is discarded and it is incompatible with
most modern displays. If the video card uses HDMI only, there is no D-A
conversion, they save money on the D-A chipset, and it is compatible with
only the modern displays.

Now that you know this I believe you can share in my frustration. "With
great knowledge comes great frustration."

On Jan 27, 2011 6:57 AM, "Ron Frazier" <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>