[ale] help forcing Ubuntu NOT to scramble my screen resolution

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Jan 27 08:03:26 EST 2011

I have an interesting situation that I need help with.  I am running
Ubuntu 10.04.  I have a laptop with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
I have a desktop monitor with a max resolution of 1280 x 1024.  So,
coincidentally, the horizontal resolution of the monitor is the same as
the laptop.  I have an Iogear KVM switch that I use to switch the
desktop monitor from my desktop computer to my laptop.

In Windows, when I connect the laptop to the KVM and switch to the
desktop monitor, I am still able to output a 1200 x 800 image, and
maintain aspect ratio, on the desktop monitor.  Therefore, the desktop
monitor displays a replica of the laptop image, with black bars at the
top and bottom.

However, when I'm running Ubuntu, and I connect the laptop to the KVM
and switch over to the desktop monitor, Ubuntu decides that the maximum
resolution is now 1024 x 768 instead of 1200 x 800.  It resizes my
windows and scrambles my icons, which drives me insane.  So, how do I
force Ubuntu to output 1280 x 800, regardless of what it THINKS the
monitor is capable of.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron