[ale] need some Evolution email magic

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Jan 25 14:00:35 EST 2011

Paul,

I'm very sorry to hear that anything I recommended caused you problems.
Keep, in mind that I've only been using Eudora OSE for 2 days, and,
while I had been using Eudora commercial for years, there are
substantial differences, as I've just found out.  I think Eudora OSE
uses the .thunderbird directory for it's setup, so it seems like it's a
flavor or variant of Thunderbird, rather than a totally separate
project.  I honestly don't know if they can work together on the same
system, based on your experience.  I haven't used Thunderbird, so I
cannot speak to it's features.  I am using Eudora OSE and Evolution on
the same system without problems.  Once I've nailed down all the
configuration issues with folders, filters, identities, and signatures;
I will probably discontinue Evolution.

Unfortunately, there are several features that I really liked in Eudora
commercial that aren't in Eudora OSE, at least at this point.

One was multi-column sorting.  So, I could sort on the priority column,
so the top priority items float to the top, then subsort (by hitting the
control key) on read/unread, so the unread float to the top within the
high priority items, then subsort by date, so, within that group,
they're in chronological order.  As far as I can tell, Eudora OSE does
not do this.  Neither does Evolution.

Another feature that Eudora Commercial was fantastic at was email system
wide searching.  I could select any combination of the 300 mailbox
folders I had, and search on any one of several criteria on any part of
the message or any header.  I don't think Eudora OSE can do this nearly
as well.  I haven't figured out Evolution's search system yet.

The filter system on Eudora OSE seems about as advanced as it was on
Eudora commercial.  It is similar to Evolution, but somewhat more
sophisticated.  It has one important feature that Evolution lacks,
unless I'm just not aware of it.  That is the ability to add filters
that run when you are checking mail, or when you manually activate the
filters, or both.  This is good, for example, if I receive a mail from
my bank, my auto insurance, and my phone company.  They all pop in my
inbox and I read them.  Then, rather than having to move each one to
it's folder by hand, I just select them all and activate the manual
filters (provided I've set them up), and they all go to their respective
folders.  This takes a while to set up, but it's very cool.  They used
to have an outgoing mail filter option which I don't think is there any
more.

Eudora can mark messages with 5 levels of priority, rather than just 2.

You can customize the toolbars and use smaller icons if you want.  I can
have a control on the toolbar to set a message's status, priority, or
label (tag), which is a little easier than using the right click context
menu.  I can also have a button to run those filters I was talking
about.  You can also customize which columns are displayed.  You can do
this in Evolution too, but I think Eudora is more flexible.  They have a
WHO column which displays who the message is from if you received it,
and who you sent it to if you sent it.  Sometimes, I like to replace
that with separate to and from columns.

Finally, I believe that Eudora has a nicer visual presentation than
Evolution.  I like to have lots of info on the screen at a time so I can
quickly scan the inbox, as well as a number of folders.  I like the font
to be compact but readable.  I think Eudora does this well.

This link leads to more information about the features of Eudora OSE.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Documentation_Project

In terms of message sorting, look at - (FUMLUB) - First Unread Message
of the Last Unread Block.  This is a specialized message sorting
algorithm they use, which I've turned off until I can figure it out.  I
might find that I like it later, but, if you're not aware of it, it may
be confusing.

I'm still experimenting with this version of Eudora OSE.  It's different
enough from Eudora commercial of the past, that I'll take a while
getting used to it.  However, I'll probably be using that in place of
Evolution.  Based on what you said, I don't think I'm going to try to
run Thunderbird at the same time.  I'll post any good info on my
experiences here.

I hope you get your system working like you like it, whether with
Thunderbird or Eudora.  If I can help, let me know.

Sincerely,

Ron