[ale] GoDaddy - Re: Domain Registrar

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Jan 24 10:30:42 EST 2011

On 01/24/2011 09:56 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> A good idea to separate Registrar and hosting - many of the acquisitions
> we do have small web hosting companies that like to pretend THEY own the
> domain rather than the customer that is paying for the hosting.   By
> ICANN rules the person listed as the registrant DOES own it so you have
> to resort to threat of litigation OR "buy" the domain from them to avoid
> downtime for your web site.   Unfortunately many people don't know the
> difference between web hosting and domain registration so don't find out
> until they decide to move to another hosting company, in house, or sell
> the business.

I think back when I got my domain, it was way before all this Godaddy
stuff.. So somehow I made it to Network Solutions, & bought my domain (
later re-upped for 10 years, so I wouldn't forget to PAY for it yearly!)
then found out, HEY, now what do I do & how do I get my email !!! I
really don't remember WHO my first hosting company was, it was so long
ago! ( probably got all those emails saved on kmail from 2 servers back.)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800