[ale] need some Evolution email magic

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Jan 22 01:52:48 EST 2011

Paul, for some reason, when I replied to your message, it didn't go to
ALE.  I had to add the ALE address manually and reply again.

See comments in line.

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 11:03 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 10:18 AM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> > I've heard comments both online and from some local people that
> > Evolution has some serious bugs.  I believe it lost 1000 or so of my
> > messages (from mailing lists), but I couldn't possibly tell you what I
> > was doing or how it happened.  Since then, it seems to be working OK.  I
> > use some moderately advanced filtering and get tons of messages, on the
> > order of 10,000 / month, most of which are shuffled into a folder.
> > Given that, and the usage patterns I mention below, I'd like your
> > opinion as to whether this is the best email client to use.  I used to
> > use Eudora, and it let me do very advanced filtering and complex multi
> > column sorting.  For example, I could sort mail by read/unread first,
> > then priority, then date.
>
> I gave up on evolution.. it kept crashing on me.. Kmail is wonderful
> BUT, it doesn't do good html replies.. which I do A LOT of . I found
> thunderbird to be my best bet SO FAR.. You can create filters to run
> agains certain folders, and you can check/uncheck the filters so they
> will only run when you select them. I use IMAP folders and it WORKS WELL
> in thunderbird.

I've gotten some recommendations for Evolution and some for Thunderbird.
I guess I'm going to do some comparison between the two.  Evolution is
doing OK, but some of these potential bugs worry me.  I don't want my
messages disappearing, and, as I mentioned, I get a lot of them.  I
guess I'm also going to have to investigate IMAP.  So much to learn, so
little time.

> If you are into pain & programming I USED to use a very configurable &
> complex email program called TheBat! from Ritlabs. Last time I checked
> it worked under wine, but that was 2 years ago... They used to have a
> great email list with LOTS of support for the programmer types... I even
> had an email account with the name of their Offtopic group, TBOT.

I think I'll skip the pain for now.

> I can't believe Eudora is still around!!! WOW!!!! what about pegasus:)
>
> good luck!

I've been using an old Windows version of Eudora.  It's actually my
favorite email app.  It has more powerful searching and filtering and
sorting capabilities than Evolution.  I don't know about Thunderbird.
Even though my old Eudora works in Wine, it doesn't do TLS properly,
which is why I was trying to switch to something else.

Actually, Eudora is reinventing themselves as an open source project,
and they are at version 1.0.  I just visited their website, and it looks
pretty cool.  I may have to take another look at them.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE

Here's a quote from their website:

---> quote

Eudora OSE is the Open Source Edition of one of the internet’s most
pioneering and enduring applications. It is a re-imagining and
re-implementation of classic Eudora features on top of the Mozilla
Thunderbird codebase.

<--- end quote

It looks pretty cool.  They have screen shots in Windows, Ubuntu, and
Mac.  I may end up going back to my old friend.

Pegasus still has a website, but I don't know anything about it.

http://www.pmail.com/

Thanks for the info.

Sincerely,

Ron