[ale] semi [OT] running a robot with linux

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Jan 21 10:49:45 EST 2011

One of my interests, other than Linux, is robotics (actual moving
machines, not computer bots).  I sometimes visit the Atlanta Hobby Robot
Club ( http://botlanta.org/ ).  My ultimate goal is to build a moving
robot which is run with a Linux based platform for a brain, and probably
programmed in C++, which I'm starting to learn.  I think it would be
really cool to run a robot using an Android phone or tablet, or possibly
one of those little embedded computers.  However, I think the embedded
computer market is behind because a phone or tablet has much more
computer power, memory, built in screen, wireless, network interface,
usb, etc.  I specifically want to use C++, rather than C, where
functions exist to do a task in both languages.  Lots of embedded
computers can be programmed in C, but not C++.  I also want the robot to
be able to do more complex tasks than just following a line, etc.
That's why I'm leaning toward a more sophisticated controller.  I'd
appreciate any pointers toward resources for this type of project.

Sincerely,

Ron