[ale] fun fun changing Linux swap partition to a swap file

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jan 21 02:42:13 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Ron Frazier
<atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>wrote:

> I'm interested in all this stuff.  I love to learn things.  However, the
> self imposed challenge and learning curve of maintaining my 3 computers
> with 2 operating systems each plus my Dad's and my Son's and keeping it
> all backed up is sometimes a formidable challenge.  Sometimes, I think I
> do nothing else.  My Son said his laptop was running too slowly.  So, I
> decided to add memory tonight.  Not hard, but it does take time, energy,
> thought, and fuel.

I can understand that.

> > I seriously need to read up on the details of all that, though.  I
> > probably haven't because while I do use Evolution, Empathy, and
> > Chromium, for pretty much everything else, I live in a sea of
> > terminals... or, sudo bang bang
> > (http://mpathirage.com/sudo-bang-bang/).
> >
> >         --- Mike
>
> The sudo-bang-bang thing is cool.  I sometimes hit the up arrow, home,
> then type sudo in front of the prior command.

That is what I did before I learned about the shell's bang-bang... operator,
I guess is what it would be classified as.  You can use "sudo !-1" as well,
but that's not as fun as "sudo !!".  :)

The ! character, according to the bash man page (which, if you've never read
or looked at, is the **one** man page that you should **never** attempt to
print!) "[starts] a history substitution", with exceptions.  You can find
the information in the "Event Designators" section of the bash man page.